Friday, June 17, 2005

Gratuitous Furity!

Well, Wife #1 was looking at my blog when she remarked that I did not have any pictures of the furballs! Or at least the creators of the furballs.

So, without further ado, let me introduce you to:

The Cats of Fritz (and Wife #1)

The cats all have been named after a person in Arthurian Legend (King Arthur and his peeps).


Name: Merlin

Nickname: Merlinator

Merlin was our first cat, when Wife #1 brought him home, to be honest, I didn’t care. It merely took a short period of time for him to grow on me. Merlin has had the distinction of having the most medical ….err… needs? When we first brought him home he seemed happy, he was eating fine, drinking enough liquids, and had horrible digestive problems. We feared that he would die. We took him to the vet, they found nothing wrong; we took him back to the vet; he had lost noticeable weight. We didn’t know what to do, and we were worried.

For the first time in the history of the world, something good came out of the existence of New Jersey. Wife #1 and I were heading out that way to visit family and we left Merlin with the breeder from whom we had adopted him.

When we returned we discovered that Merlin had been fine during his stay, no problems at all. A day after coming home, the problems had started again. We called the vet again and the nurse said that maybe there was something at the breeder that he missed, something that wasn’t at our house.


Name: Arthur

Nickname: Chubs

The breeder practically begged us to baby-sit Arthur for the weekend and see if that helped Merlin. It did and so Arthur joined our happy little (growing) family. When I was “downsized” (English translation: Screwed over by a company you worked overtime for), we still owed money for Arthur, about $300 if I recall correctly, the breeder forgave the debt, even though we didn’t ask for it. (For that, she gets a link, fo sho!)

Arthur is stuck up and prissy, when he relaxes he properly crosses his front paws in front of him, he knows he is royalty and a fine looking cat. He is not quite as smart or athletic as Merlin, but he is persistent.

Cute Anecdote:

We used to block the doorway to the bedroom to keep the cats out, but we didn’t want to close it up because it would get COLD due to the fact that there were no heating vents in the bedroom. A box fan blew in to circulate the warm air, and a pillow shoved next to it made a perfect (so we thought) blockade. Merlin got brave enough and started jumping over our blockage. Arthur (remember his nickname) couldn’t quite do that, but there was no way that he was going to be left by himself outside the room. I heard a loud BANG and Arthur strolled into the room. He had pushed and pushed on the fan until it fell into the room, allowing him to walk in as a conquering king.


Name: Morgan

Nickname: Little Em

Well, Valentine’s Day was fast approaching and I didn’t know what to get Wife #1. I find giving jewelry so blasé. She had been wanting another cat, so I figured that it worked out nicely. Wife #1 wanted a girl, so she went to the breeder’s website and started looking. A calico! Perfect! We went out to the breeder’s and she brought out the litter that Morgan was a part of, they were so little. Morgan appeared to have a great delight in running into things since she wasn’t all that coordinated yet. Wife #1 was in love immediately.

Morgan learned very quickly how to completely control us, her little meows still sound like a kitten, and she only bestows them on us in special situations. She also only does something when SHE wants to do it.

Anyway, while Wife #1 was fawning over Morgan at the breeder’s, for some reason I asked to see the runt, the little guy with the crooked jaw. I felt that no one would want him and I always have a soft spot for the runt.


Name: Percival (Percy)

Nickname: Perkitoon

When he was brought out, he fit into the palm of my hand. He looked up at me and promptly began chewing on the zipper of my jacket. I’m not sure what it was, but I knew he had to join our family. The breeder sold him to us at a discounted price. Due to his physical traits she knew that not many people, if any, would want him and she was glad that he would be coming home with us and his sister. And what a discounted price it was! Good thing we reserved him early. He grew, his jaw straightened, his fur fluffed out, and when people saw him they all wanted to take him home. A professional cat show guy said we were stupid for getting him neutered since we then couldn’t enter him in shows!

Percy has always been attached to me, I’m not sure if he knows why he is home with us and not someone else. Does he remember that he was the ugly duckling that only we wanted? He sleeps next to me on the bed. His head on the pillow, curled up under the blanket, he waits for me to come home and sits in my lap whenever he can.

Well, there you are, that’s it, that is the list! I’m glad you got to know more about our happy little family, I hope you enjoyed reading about them …..eh… actually, I don’t care if you did, I didn’t force you to read it.

Fritz

2 comments:

greenemama said...

i think this gratuitous fur is my favorite thing on here. i found myself snickering and suppressing (as the children are sleeping)a guffaw.

i had to wait six months (none to be found at the right price: free) to get our cats. ernie (aaron) is still unsure about the recent adoption. the cats scratch at us and make horrible messes with the kitty litter. the oldest child harasses them constantly, sneaking around to find them while wielding some manner of stick (!). needless to say, the constant protection of the cats is quite exhausting. i wonder if it would feel so exhausting if we'd been paying such a breeder to adopt them. ours were free and footloose, but not fancy.

::He sleeps next to me on the bed. His head on the pillow, curled up under the blanket::

again i feel the urge to laugh outloud, just by pasting this comment in the box here. if ever i catch ernie with either cat sleeping next to him i will call the papers and secretly videotape the event. then i will sneak the cat away so that it won't be thrown across the room when found by my husband.

fritz the grand, i think you'll get linkage from this mama, too.

Jonathan said...

Thank you very much. To be honest, I really am glad that you enjoyed reading about my family, I just act uncaring because I'm supposed to :)

It took a while to warm up to them, but now the house feels emtpy when they aren't there.