Friday, February 16, 2007

Blue Like Jazz

I started reading a book by Donald Miller called Blue Like Jazz yesterday. So far it is some guy's story about coming to grips with God being a Father. The author didn't have a father growing up and the whole concept was foreign to him.

The book is filled with good lines and phrases, I'm only 30 pages into the book but one that really caught my attention so far was:

"When you are a writer and a speaker you aren't supposed to watch television. It's shallow. I feel guilty because for a long time I didn't allow myself a television, and I used to drop that fact in conversation to impress people. I thought it made me sound dignified.

A couple of years ago, however, I visited a church in the suburbs, and there was this blow hard preacher talking about how television rots your brain. He said that when we watch television our brains work no harder than when we are sleeping. I thought that sounded heavenly. I bought one that afternoon."

Now it isn't all just witty and fun, a good chunk of the book so far is looking at himself and seeing himself for what he is, a disgusting, selfish, no good human.

After protesting President Bush (the first) in Portland he had this realization:

"The thing I realized on the day we protested...was that it did me no good to protest America's responsibility on global poverty when I wasn't even giving money to my church."

I'll keep you all updated on how the book progresses.

1 comment:

Seth Ben-Ezra said...

That was a great book. I found it to be quite thought-provoking and helpful. Not a book for the ages...but that's okay, really.

Plus I really liked his thoughts on jazz.