Thursday, October 06, 2005

College more important than $10,000,000.00?

Just a quick post for all you non-traditional education people who feel dumped on by people screaming that you need to go to college. One of the main arguments for college has been that you will make more money with a college degree than without one, unless you major in something stupid like geography, English, or elementary education.

A writer for the Washington Post, Sally Jenkins, is screaming now about Michelle Wie. Michelle Wie is a sixteen year old golfing phenom who turned pro yesterday. She promised that she would finish high school...

Ummm, I really don't think that is too much to ask

....and she said that she would go to college.

Why?

Sally Jenkins is screaming that Wie is somehow ruining her life by turning pro, knowing full well that she will not be going to college. Why go to college? If Wie had turned pro before last year she would have earned $700,000.00 in winnings. Hard to make that much as a seventh grade teacher.

It is estimated that she will make ten MILLION dollars (that is SEVEN zeros to the left of the decimal point) in endorsements this next year. So apparently she should miss out on that in order to be able to join a sorority and partake in binge drinking parties.

I am very in favor of going to college, I think most people should go to college, I have met far too many single women working at a minimum wage job since their husbands died and they have to support their family. BUT saying that Michelle Wie should go to college is foolishness, in fact it is the height of stupidity.

Some people try to scream racism because people like myself want basketball players to go to college before turning pro. The reason for that is pure selfishness on my part, players straight from high school most often suck. The quality of play in the NBA has steadily decreased as the average age of NBA players has decreased.

Michelle Wie only gets paid for doing well, that is how golf works, same with tennis. If she is able to make money by playing golf well, more power to her, I only wish I was that good.

2 comments:

Raquel said...

There was a very nice women who reccomended I go to college in case my husband died someday. I later realized her degree was in women's ministries. Um, yeah. That's quite a little gem of marketability.

Jonathan said...

The only thing better would be if she had a minor in English....

I don't recommend we make decisions based on fear of what MIGHT happen, I just knew too many women who were single mothers working at a minimum wage job. Granted most of them were in that position due to divorce, but there were a few who had lost husbands.

So what I'm saying is mixed I guess, don't go to college out of fear that you MIGHT have to get a job, since the chances of an early husband death would seem to be rather slim, but on the other hand I feel badly for those poor women working at convienience stores.