Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Why I'm Superstitious

Many people scoff, some people shake their heads sadly, but no one can shake my incredible superstitious nature regarding sports. Why did the 49ers lose to Dallas a few weeks ago? Were they just overmatched? No, it was because Wife #1 was making fun of the 49ers’ quarterback’s last name. Rattay.

“Rattatay! Rattatay!” She chanted, just before he threw a pick in the 4th quarter that led to the winning points.

“Rattatay! Rattatay!” She continued to mock later, just before Rattay threw an interception that sealed the loss.Was the loss Rattay's fault? No! Wife #1 is to blame!


Against the Cardinals there was just too much bad mojo going against them. Penn State had pounded Minnesota, which was ranked #18 in the country at that time. This victory would vault PSU into the top 20 for certain. There was no way the football gods would give me two good wins during one weekend, so San Francisco would have to suffer.


A PSU Victory - The True Reason the 49ers Lost

This past week the 49ers were going up against the undefeated Colts, the 49ers were also starting the first pick overall in the draft – Alex Smith. Normally I would have held out hope still, since crazier things have happened, but not that afternoon. The night before I watched as Penn State, now ranked #16, defeated Ohio State, who was ranked #6. PSU stayed unbeaten, making their record 6 – 0, the beat down of Ohio State ensured a top ten ranking this week. (They are ranked #8 this week.)

San Francisco had no hope, I could have told the 60,000+ fans at Candlestick to stay home, there was no hope.

So San Francisco is 1 – 4, they lost four defensive backs to injuries, including two starters and their nickleback, they are starting a rookie quarterback, and their defense is on the field too long, they have a good chance of losing all the rest of their games. I promise I will try my hardest to watch all their games too.

But who cares? Penn State is 6 – 0!!! Until they lose at Michigan….49ers have a bye this week….not good.

4 comments:

dlr said...

it's bad luck to be superstitious ya know

james3v1 said...

"the football gods?"

Jonathan said...

One of my more favorite columns to read is Tuesday Morning Quarterback, that is a phrase of his. Note that I used a lower case "g" :)

I also make certain to cross my fingers while I'm being superstitious to cancel out the bad luck.

Barb said...

I thought it had something to do with the black cats you have in the house.