Monday, January 29, 2007

Needed to be Said

I stumbled across this in a comments section on some dope's blog. And I use dope in a loving sense. Anyway, this spells out one of my frustrations very well and so I thought I would post it.

"I have never posted on yours or anyone else's blog before, just never had the guts I guess. I have appreciated many of your writings and enjoyed your ala Carte section.

But what prompts me to write is after reading your review of Vischer's book and many other articles and reviews you've posted over the last year or so, is a disturbing thread that I used to live my life by as well - a narrow-minded tribalism when it comes to doctrine and truth.
It disturbs me because of the disunity (I know you're already writing me off b/c of that one...)and hurt that is caused by many in the Neo-Reformed movement (those followers of MacArthur and his ilk - there are many others, but he seems to figure most prominently in your influences, and was in my own life).
It is seen in this present review, when after positively reviewing the book, when Vischer goes on to say what has helped him, you feel the need to throw in "Unfortunatley" when recounting it was Nouwen and Blackaby who helped him, doubting their helpfulness because...(my words here)- how could anyone be of anything but harm when they come from a different theological circle or take other positions different from our Reformed camp ! Nouwen and Blackaby were (in the case of Nouwen-deceased) and are great, respected Christian men who have caused us to look at God differently and learn things from a different angle we hadn't before.

I must say that this doctrinal arrogance has become sickening to me (and I did my own share of it). You know exactly who's in or out based on who their heroes are or aren't, and how exactly their positions link up to yours (speaking of 'yours' in a collective Reformed-camp sense, not just you), and which Bible translation they use.
People like Nowen, Yancey, and even more Emergent people (the horror!) deal with pain and doubt in a real and authentic way that our Reformed heroes frankly don't. It's not that MacArthur and his band of brothers are bad men - they're far from it - but they (no one) do not have a corner on the truth.
We need the whole body of Christ to minister God's grace in "all of it's various forms" which doesn't mean: "in all of it's doctrinal, academic forms". And if we're talking about God who is beyond ALL human comprehension, then this is where we have to land. We will never have Him figured out, and I think true worship is impossible when we think we do.

I surprised myself by profiting greatly from a book by a female preacher, and in your eyes somewhat of a liberal, called 'Leaving Church' where she deals with all the emotions of loving God yet leaving the ministry. Sure, I didn't agree with everything, but there were Godward thoughts that blew me away. And that's how it works - we don't buy the whole bag of anyone - even if it's put out by P&R Publishing - and even if they quote from the ESV!
But we have to acknowledge that we ALL bring our pre-understandings into the Bible and thus we will always miss something that someone else gets because of what their tradition emphasized.

I'm just concerned that these types of reviews and articles do more to divide and hurt true Christians based on peripheral issues, by labelling people 'Liberal' 'compromisers', thus anyone who has profited from them, if they believe you, feel their growth was false and suspect.
We focus on controllable issues (easy to critique and feel righteous in doing so) while neglecting the weightier matters of the law - such as love.

I really do believe we'll be surprised when we arrive in Eternity.

Sorry for the terrible length, but I feel it needed to be said.

Thanks."


If you want to read the original post feel free by clicking here!!

No comments: