Monday, October 30, 2006

Photograph

So there is this song by Nickelback (Motto: “All Songs Sound the Same or Your Money Back!”) called “Photograph.”

It is a nostalgic song about finding a photo of his old friends and recalling the good times they had and missing them, while realizing it is time to say good-bye to that part of his life.

This song is kind of strange for me, because it brings back memories of friends that I had, but I don’t miss them since most of them were really not good people to be around and the things we did were really not things I would approve of now.

*How is it that you aren’t in jail?*

God looks after fools and drunkards.

Maybe it isn’t entirely true that I don’t miss them, maybe I just miss being young and free with no responsibilities, no issues that keep you awake at night praying for wisdom, trying to figure out what exactly you are supposed to do in THIS situation….it really sucks.

One thing though that I know I miss is my family. I live 650 miles from half my family…to be honest it is the half I actually like also. (Ha ha, just kidding, the truth is I can’t stand any of you)

I know some people might not believe what I’m about to say, some people might think that I am merely using hyperbole, but let me assure you that what I am about to say is absolute truth.

My family was and is better than yours.

We were, and still are, closer than you could ever believe. I attribute that fully to my wonderful parents who refused to let us degenerate into bickering siblings who whined about the others constantly and did our best to get the others in hot water with the authorities.

We actually liked each other. We spent so much time together that we became friends. I know that is rare. When we grew older we still enjoyed spending time together. We had weekly game nights until I moved away; I look forward to seeing them when I head back to Pennsylvania at Christmas and in the summer.

When I listen to the song I miss those days when we were all under the age of 16 playing Fox and Rabbits in the snow, Billion Buck Baby, making a see-saw while camping, pushing a log down the road and “dancing” to the beat it made.

I don’t want to say good-bye to that part of my life, I want to cling to it, but we are all older with kids and cats, jobs and bills, houses and cars, and of course, we are missing the ring leader of it all, the person who taught us how to play Fox and Rabbits, who allowed us to have water fights in the house…when our father was gone for the evening, and the one who encouraged our corn on the cob sword fights….again when our father wasn’t there :)

When I think about this world, one of the cruelest parts to me is that it forces people to move so far apart sometimes.

Last Saturday Sister #3 and I were walking down the front stairs to a house, front steps that had always seemed a little wrong to me for some reason, when she piped up, “These stairs remind me of the stairs on Smithson.”

That was it, they were the same faded red paint on concrete, but they were too big. I had gone up and down those stairs so many times, that these stairs which reminded me of those stairs felt wrong since they were slightly off.

I miss living in that house, I miss riding the sofa cushion down the stairs, turning the attic into a haunted house, sitting on the front porch in the summer listening to my mother read the Prydain Cycle to us.

I guess I just miss being a kid.

6 comments:

dlr said...

It sounds like you miss your mom...

Seth Ben-Ezra said...

I'm assuming that those are the stairs in front of my current house. I had never thought about them being like the stairs on Smithson. You're right, though; they definitely are.

I understand what you are saying about being a kid. Some of how that works out for me is trying to remember it so that I can give those experiences to my children. Very specifically, I think about riding the sofa cushion down the stairs. It made a mess, particularly with all the blankets at the bottom of the stairs to pad us. It was probably a little dangerous, especially when all five of us climbed on for the ride. And it was massive amounts of fun. So I try to remember this when my children are doing something crazy that will be inconvenient and a little dangerous. And even though it means more work for me, I try to let it happen. Because those are the memories that we are building together, that they will draw on when they are older. Those will be some of the glue that holds them together if God should choose to separate them.

And that haunted house was still the greatest!

P.S. Have I mentioned that Isaac really wants to make a haunted house? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

Adiel said...

Jonathan,
As always, you have good timing. You expressed some of the very feelings that I've been struggling with lately. For me, it's that I miss having my mom to take care of me. I've been struck again with the reality that if my house is going to get cleaned then I have to do it and if there's going to be dinner on the table tonight then I have to make it. It doesn't matter if I'm feeling ill because of morning sickness or if I'm too emotional and weepy to try to make dinner- I still have to do it.

And I get jealous of other people who still have both their parents. They still have that childhood home to go back to. We don't even have that anymore. Those stairs you were remembering are the stairs I walk on every day and they are no longer the stairs of my childhood-they are my stairs that I'd like to paint blue next year. I was the one who got rid of the famous sofa cushion and now it's all my junk that's taking up space in the attic. I feel like all I have left of my childhood are the memories since I've changed anything tangible that the memories were connected to. In my mind our childhood home doesn't exist anymore and I was the one who destroyed it.

You know, maybe instead of rambling here I should have just written my own blog post about this. Oh, well.

P.S. How did we play Billion Buck Baby? I remember that it was a great game, but I can't remember what exactly it was.

Gabrielle said...

Jonathan,

I actually like the song Photograph because it makes me think of home. And it makes me remember that life needs to change and move on. Now I'm not the one sliding down the stairs, but I am the one encouraging the children around me to slide down. It's like I'm giving them the same gift Mom and Dad gave us.

Wasn't Shnooky the Billion Dollar Baby?

Jonathan said...

Shnookums I believe.

Adiel:

You changing the house didn't destroy anything, I was very happy actually that you and Joshua decided to move there.

Rather than destroying the place those memories were created it kept the house in the family, ensuring that I would be able to go up the stairs that I know so well many times more in the future.

Blue is a good color for them by the way. Weren't the blue before at one point before Dad painted them red?

Anonymous said...

I like that song, and they sound great. You probably don't like them as much as the clam chowder band or whatever.