Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jarhead - Welcome to the Whine

Jarhead supposedly is based on a true story. I say supposedly since I can't actually see a real Marine whining as much as this putz does in the movie. It starts off with the guy talking about how he is scarred from his experience of "holding a rifle. " And that you never foget it even when changing your child's diaper. Does this mean that every hunter or target range shooter is scarred for life as well?

My grandfather took me shooting when I was 10 or so. Does this explain how my life got so messed up? It wasn't my fault! I was scarred from holding a rifle!! Seriously, shut up already! The closest the author got to actual combat was being shot at with friendly fire. I don't recall the Band of Brothers survivors complaining about how they were "scarred" after Bastogne.


"How come I wasn't told that being in the Marines was hard?"

He is not a sypathetic figure. He shows no respect for his superiors unless it is forced from him, he gets drunk rather than stand guard duty, and just wants out.

I can't recommend this drek to anyone. The next time I want to listen to 2 straight hours of whining, I'll go hang out with a 4 year-old.

Fritz

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Fritz, every now and then I am impressed by your command of a our English tongue. You were hars and scathing and you never once repeated yourself or made use of what people like to call 'language'. If ever I wanted to see this movie you comletely talked me out of it.

Adiel said...

I wouldn't mind if you made a point to regularly post reviews for various movies, books, CDs, etc. I always enjoy hearing your opinions on our modern entertainment.
Seriously, if the comedian career doesn't work out for you then you should consider being a movie critic.