Friday, September 07, 2007

10 Qualities of a Christian Gentleman

It was with great excitement that I clicked this link I found at another blog. I couldn't wait to see what issues the author was going to tackle. Instead I found one of the most moronic lists ever created since the Top 10 Bowel Movements of All Time list.

Here it is. Out of the 10 points the author states only a few didn't make me want to puke in a bucket due to the idiocy displayed therein...as such.

At least he got Punctual and Chivalrous correct. I like how in his list he appears to use the least amount of Scripture as possible to make his case for each point. Out of 10 points he has 3 verses....and this is meant to be a Christian guide to life.

Maybe I should be gentler, his heart is in the right place. And there are issues that need to be addressed.

People "wearing khaki cargo shorts, a t-shirt, flip-flops and some kind of surfer necklace to every occasion in life" is definitely an issue. And people who are not on time make me want to beat my (or their) head into a wall. And really, we spend far too much time absorbed in ourselves and not thinking about others (the opposite of chivalry).....maybe i agree with this guy more than I think....

Eh...the list is still dumb overall.

Let me just explain my biggest issue with the list. His assumption that in order to be a gentleman you have to:

1) Be well educated
2) Be able to converse intelligently on many subjects
3) Dress nicely

Pretty much this means that in the country of Darfur right now there are no gentlemen. This is such a Western assumption that stupid hick Southerners are not real gentlemen since they dropped out of school in 10th grade. The list seems more like the author:

A) Preaching to some sort of choir
B) Being a preening shmoe looking in a mirror wanting to make his Master's Degree in Geography worth something and the fact that he can converse on the ins and outs of banana exports in Ghandi.

4 comments:

Isaac said...

Wow. I'm a little speechless, but glad I was able to play some small part of this tirade in directing you to the most moronic author since pooping was an event to compare notes over.

I see your points. I personally like most of the issues, but mainly (as the title would suggest) posted this to tell my little sisters not to date a loser... it wasn't meant to be a thesis for life :)

Gabrielle said...

I especially liked the 'polished' requirement. It seemed to say that if I'm walking into a store and a construction worker who just got off of work and is still covered in dirt politely opens the door for me I should turn my nose up at him and declare him to be unchivalrous because he is not "polished."

"Educated" gave me a chuckle too because it means that my adopted brother, who I think is a very gentlemanly man, doesn't count because he never finished college. That seems wrong to me.

And, being a little sister, I understand the "don't date a loser" idea, but if a woman goes looking for this man I think she is going to be sorely disappointed.

james3v1 said...

I read the thing and thought he had some good points, but for the most part it came across to me as "to be a Christian gentleman you need to be more like me."

Adiel said...

I'd hate to see what he thinks a Christian "Lady" should look like.