Friday, April 13, 2007

Numbers

I read a bunch in Numbers yesterday, some key points:

The whole story of the 12 spies really seems like the ending of a movie, I can see the story of them skulking through the countries, barely avoiding detection, until finally getting back to the main camp exhausted, physically and mentally.

The preponderance of spies gives a truthful report, but then they lose their faith and say, WE can not beat these guys, which was the truth, the Israelites couldn't win by themselves. Then the Israelites decide to stone Moses and Aaron.

Of course Joshua and Caleb stand up and testify that the Israelites aren't fighting alone! That God is on their side! So the Israelites decide to stone them too.

Now we get to the movie part:

Just as the Israelites are going to stone Joshua and Caleb (and Moses and Aaron too I assume), God in His glory shows up and beats down the rebellers, then imposes His judgment. Interestingly enough, God decided to destroy Israel and Moses, who was about to be stoned by the ingrates, intercedes for the them, quite a picture of Christ, asking forgiveness for those who don't deserve it.



I also read where Aaron and his sister talk bad about Moses and Moses, instead of being self-righteous, he is humble.

In fact he is described in this part of the Bible as the humblest man on the face of the earth, which interests me since Moses wrote this book, apparently being humble doesn't mean being self-deprecating.

Moses doesn't lash out and scream that HE IS MOSES!!!!!! Instead he agrees to take the case before God who then says these wonderful words:

Numbers 12 : 6 - 8

" “Hear now My words:
If there is a prophet among you,
I, the LORD, make Myself known to him in a vision;
I speak to him in a dream.

7 Not so with My servant Moses;
He is faithful in all My house.

8 I speak with him face to face,
Even plainly, and not in dark sayings;
And he sees the form of the LORD.
Why then were you not afraid
To speak against My servant Moses?”"



Wow! Just wow.

No comments: